Each member of a team is a sources of energy as well as entropy. It is the team’s objective to maximize energy and minimize entropy.
To minimize entropy is to:
– Read the room – to observe who is engaged in a meeting, who isn’t, and figure out why.
– Sense unspoken needs and underlying tension among team members.
– Convert abstract feelings into words that the team can understand.
– Foresee conflicts due to friction among team members.
– Diffuse tension.
– Energize the team towards action, contribution and collaboration.
‘To minimize social entropy’ within a team isn’t something you would notice on job descriptions. Yet, it is among the rarest and most valuable skills in today’s workplace.