A colleague recently asked me – what is one thing you would recommend to anybody that can have the greatest positive impact on their life?
That is a hard question. Therefore, his simple answer intrigued me. His rule of the thumb was to live each moment of his day so that he could sleep better at night.
On giving it some thought, I realized how a night of sound sleep has several positive feedback loops:
- Sound sleep requires regular habits and a virtuous diet
- Exercise and sleep complement each other
- A good night’s sleep leads to a productive day and vice-versa
- Healthy people sleep better. Better sleep makes you healthier
- One needs a clear conscience to enjoy a good night’s sleep
- Well rested people makes better decisions and can keep their conscience clear
Life’s most elegant solutions are simple. A good night’s sleep is the elegant solution to several of our hardest problems.